Panel debate: 12 months on – is PHE’s sugar reduction programme on target and are calorie reductions being achieved?
10:15 - 10:45
Policy, Progress and Public Health
- 12 months on – is the Childhood Obesity Plan’s key tactic of reducing sugar creating the reductions in calories required to begin to effect change in levels of obesity?
- Is the sugar reduction programme blowing in the wind against upselling, promotions, junk food advertising?
- Is there any focus on reducing sweetness in the diet, not just sugar?
- What substitutions are consumers making, what unintended consequences are occurring?
With the soft drinks industry levy being hailed a success in driving reformulation – should this programme be extended to additional categories?
What is being achieved in out-of-home?
- Government has indicated additional legislation will be introduced if insufficient progress is achieved – what will demark “insufficient progress” and when will this be evaluated?
- How can agricultural policy and health policy be better aligned?
- Rt Hon Keith Vaz MP - Chair of Diabetes APPG and Patron of Sugarwise
- Jenny Rosborough Campaign Manager - Action on Sugar
- Cathy Capelin Strategic Insight Director Nutrition - Kantar Worldpanel
- Sara Petersson Nutrition Analyst - Euromonitor
- Professor Jack Winkler Emeritus Professor of Nutrition Policy - London Metropolitan University
« Back to previous page