Panel Debate: What role for sweeteners in sugar reduction?
12:15 - 12:45
Science & Evidence: Sweeteners and Sweetness
- Scientific evidence attests the safety of sweeteners – but are they healthier?
- Should we be reducing exposure to sweetness in the diet, rather than replacing it?
- Why do sweeteners have an image problem and what needs to change?
- Who is driving the “clean label” agenda – Consumers? Retailers? Manufacturers?
- What can we learn from soft drinks, where sweeteners are widely accepted?
- Should sweeteners be more widely endorsed as a sugar-reduction strategy?
- Natural versus synthetic sweeteners –does it matter to consumers?
- Does regulation around use of sweeteners in categories need to change – and is anyone pushing this agenda?
- Professor Tim Spector Professor of Genetic Epidemiology, Director of the Twins UK Registry - Kings College, London
- Dr. Caomhan Logue Lecturer in Dietetics - Ulster University
- Dr. Alexandra Lobach Manager, Toxicology, Chemistry & Regulatory Affairs - Food & Nutrition - Intertek
- Prof Katherine Appleton Professor in Psychology - Bournemouth University
- Dr. Charlotte Hardman Lecturer in Psychology - University of Liverpool
« Back to previous page